Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Rosebuds of Faith Series: Seasoned with Salt

"Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming
the time. Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned
with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer
each one."
Colossians 4:5-6


I find that as I am running errands, doing my grocery
shopping, and generally scurrying around just to get
through the day, and mark things off of my 'to do' list,
I tend to focus on the trip itself. I look straight ahead,
making a bee-line for the target, just to get the thing done.

I don't make eye contact, I hurry down the aisles, and
quite often I do not see the person sitting in the car
next to me at the light. When conducting my business
I do try to be polite and nice, but I am 'to the point', just
so I can get out of there. Short and sweet. Quick and
efficient.

Because of all of this, I miss opportunities. I think about
it later...why didn't I let that old lady go ahead of me? And
why did I not notice at the time that the girl at the counter
looked extremely tired, and stressed? The person loading
their groceries in the parking lot could have used a hand.
And that child being dragged by her mother down the
sidewalk would surely have welcomed a loving smile and
a wink.

It's the same in our homes, and in our church body. We
tend to think that those who love us also understand us...
therefore we have license to be snippy, or short tempered,
or lazy about taking care of something important. But this
is not what God wants for us, or for them.

Jesus has called us the 'salt of the earth'. That means many
things, but one in particular is 'attitude'. Think about what
your presentation in public, at home, at church, means to
others. For believers, it means love and acceptance, caring,
interest, and unity. For those who do not believe, or who do
not understand the love of Christ, it means that they wonder
what makes us like this, why we would care about them, and
why we do the things we do. They question our joy, our smiles,
our hugs and good works. But if we show the 'unsalted ' attitude,
then they wonder why they would ever want to be a Christian if
they act like that. And truly, why would they?

I want people to look at me and say, 'I want what she's got!'
That is the way to represent our LORD, day in and day out,
no matter how busy we are, no matter how distracted by
life we may be. Put on that smile, give that hand out or up,
share scripture with someone who is hurting, and be
generous with hugs and laughter. Ask for and use wisdom
in your dealings with others. Show how salt can be
poured over the world with no reservations, and then
watch people's lives change...including your own!

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment