Friday, July 13, 2012

Will You Vote?

I have very definite ideas about what our country should be, who our leaders should be, and how we as American citizens behave. Yes, I am setting myself up here to be a laughing stock, a clown, an idiot, even. But I feel the need to say this: VOTE!

If you don't vote, you are not a true patriot, no matter your party. If you don't vote, you don't have a true right to criticize, or complain, or cry out. If you don't vote, your voice will indeed not be heard. If you don't vote, you more or less are saying, 'Here, dogs, take the crumbs.'

Why would you not want to vote? There are countries all over this world where people do not have that right. They WANT to vote, but cannot. Then there are those other countries, again, all over the world, who do have a voting system, but it is corrupt. Their vote either doesn't count at all, or they are placing themselves and their families in physical or political danger if they vote the way they really wish.

So since we have this option here in the good ole U S of A, why don't more people take advantage of it? 'I'm too busy for that', or 'I don't understand politics', or even, 'I don't know the issues, and besides, there isn't anyone on the ballot I want to vote for anyway.' All are sorry, sorry excuses. So sad, for a free country, one that won and has kept it's freedom because of the shedding of blood, and, wow, because we vote!

I am not an intellectual, not by any means. But I care. I can read. I can listen. I can compare and investigate. I can discuss with family and friends. I can discern right from wrong, good from bad, freedom from political oppression.

If we do not stand up as citizens, and vote based on our knowledge and our care and compassion for our country and our people, then we are kissing our freedom goodbye. We can't put the entire burden of our freedom on our military. We, here at home, also have a responsibility to participate in our government and it's operations. If we don't, we will see what we have been seeing the past nearly four years...basic freedoms, financial stability, and our sense of security slip, slipping away. Very quickly.

Whether you agree with me or not, think about it. Please! Give it some thought, take a look at who is running, what their values and thoughts are, their vision, and compare it to what yours are, and what you think would be right and good for the country. Then vote. Rearrange your schedule....it's just one day, and it only takes a few minutes. The options are many...check with your local government officials about early voting, about polling places and times. You may find it is much easier than you think.

America is free. It is beautiful. It is ours. Don't let that change simply because of laziness, or because you don't think you can make a difference. All of us together can, and, I pray, will.

'One nation, under God, with liberty and justice for all.' The Pledge of Allegiance. Most of us learned it in grade school. All of us should remember it now. God brought this country into existence. He can take it out as well. Let's show Him what we think of His grace, His freedom, His blessings on our people, and our country.

VOTE!

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment