Friday, September 7, 2012

The Wanderderlust Within

I love being an American, and living in this country. There is so much about it that I love that I cannot even begin to share.

Maybe one of the things I like best is that I don't have to drive too far to find interesting things to do and see. I can experience new places and people, different cultures within mine, different terrains, and different languages even, if I so wish. And all without having to carry my passport with me!

I just love to get in the car, or the plane, and go. Love to come home, but boy do I love to go! I have a yearning deep in my heart to see, do, hear and experience that which I either have never experienced, or that which I have and enjoy so much that I gotta do it again. Seems like I am never satisfied to just stay in one place for very long.

Don't get me wrong. I love my home, and the city and state that I live in. When my hubby and I moved south nearly 15 years ago, I knew quickly that we had landed in the right place. It has brought me much joy. We are living right where we are supposed to be living, by the grace of God, and I cannot imagine living anywhere else...well, at least not right now! But maybe someday...

My grandchildren have alot to do with this travel bug I have within me. When they come to visit, we get in the car and go. We sometime go to the mountains and experience the culture, music, and lovely views. Other times we head to the beach, where we have all developed a love of the ocean, boats, and all the sights and sounds that accompany them.

Most of the time we blend in lots of historical places to see. I love history, and so do my grandkids. For this I am really thankful! There is something about standing in a building that is centuries old that is quite surreal.

But my travels are not limited to America, although there is still so much I wish to see. I have ventured out, with my passport, to Ecuador several years ago, on a mission trip. I loved it! Not only did I participate in ministry there, I was able to bond with several of the teenagers who came to the camp, and am still in touch with them. I have a place in my heart that belongs to Ecuador, the country, the people. It is a beautiful place.

Then, most recently, I was blessed to be able to travel to Germany to see my son and his family prior to his deployment to Afghanistan. I had never flown across the 'pond' before. But I did it, and I had a wonderful time. And when I say I stood in buildings and plaza's that are centuries old, wow! They really are! Older than anything here in America!

But at the end of each excursion is home. And home is where my heart is. The Wanderlust is not going away anytime soon. I am grateful. I learn something valuable with every trip. Mostly, I have learned that people are the same, they have the same emotions and needs as everyone else. They may live in a different country, state, city, but we all share the bond of the human race. And we can all touch one another, and make a difference in lives. I still remember the smile of a couple with a dog on one of the market places in Germany. They posed for a picture for me. We did not speak the same language, yet we communicated. They were kind. I was kind back.

Wanderlust is a great thing. As long as it is not a continual state of mind and body, and we don't lose our need and want for our homes and families, it is a true blessing of God.

Now, where shall I go next....?

No comments:

Post a Comment